The VETtrak API is a software product that allows the VETtrak training management system to be linked with other systems and products, enabling data to be transferred between VETtrak and the other systems. The API can be accessed by any software that can talk to a web service, allowing for a broad range of potential implementations. There are three main functional areas of the API:
- Enrolment for interfacing with Online Enrolment Systems
- Portals for interfacing with portals that allow various parties to view training information online
- LMS Integration for interfacing with Learning Management Systems.
The API is a ‘back end’ only, offering a set of functions that communicate with the VETtrak database. This occurs via a dynamic link library (dll) running on a Windows-based IIS webserver. The API is not available for other operating systems or webservers.
In order to implement the linkages mentioned above, a ‘front end’ will need to be developed to meet the needs of the organisation using VETtrak. This would often be in the form of a web application, although any solution which can consume web services would be suitable. VETtrak does not supply the front end, but can recommend some web development companies who are experienced in working with the VETtrak API.
The following information describes the basic functionality provided by the API. Please note that more detailed documentation can be obtained by contacting VETtrak support.
The API contains of a group of functions that allow online users to enrol in a VETtrak occurrence.
The API caters for two types of online enrolment:
- enrolment by an individual client
- enrolment by an employer, which covers a group of employees (requires VETtrak Pro).
Functions exist that offer a listing of occurrences available for enrolment. A developer could use these to produce an online enrolment form, which may or may not include payments.
For employer enrolments, an estimated number of employees is submitted with the enrolment. Details of individual employees, if known, can be submitted at the time of online enrolment.
Individual clients may also be added to the waitlist for a programme.
If required, online enrolments can be held as pending enrolments until vetted and processed by a staff member. This processing takes place in an extension to VETtrak, and addresses such issues as:
- Matching the online enrollee with an existing VETtrak client or employer
- Avoiding duplicate enrolments
- Ensuring seating limits are not exceeded.
The API contains of a group of functions that allow online users to log in and view training details appropriate to them.
The API caters for three types of online user:
- a client (trainee or student)
- a staff member
- an employer.
Each type of user can log in using credentials set up in VETtrak.
The developer can control access to functions depending on user type. For example:
- a client portal would offer the user details of their own training
- a staff portal would offer the user widespread access to most details
- an employer portal would offer the user details of their employees’ training.
The API also allows some limited updating of data, such as personal details, events and unit results.
LMS integration functions
The API contains of a group of functions which support the transfer of information between a Learning Management System (LMS) and VETtrak. This allows:
- training activity under the LMS to be made available to the VETtrak reporting and management functions
- existing VETtrak data to be made available to the LMS.
In order to implement this strategy, there needs to be a link between an LMS course and a VETtrak occurrence. Since the API can interact with a variety of LMS systems, this link should be installed in the LMS.
Once this is established, several scenarios can be implemented, such as:
- a VETtrak occurrence can be transferred to the LMS
- a client can be enrolled in a VETtrak occurrence and the enrolment uploaded to the LMS
- a client enrolled in an LMS course can be transferred to VETtrak as an occurrence enrolment
- results for an LMS course can be used to update results in the corresponding VETtrak enrolment
- AVETMISS reports for LMS activity can be generated in VETtrak.